- (4) 15 oz cans of garlic and herb-flavored tomato sauce (if using plain tomato sauce, add extra seasoning and garlic)
- 2 lb of ground beef
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot or 2 small carrots, grated
- 2 tsp of oregano
- 2 tsp of basil
- 2 Tbsp Mushroom Street Farms “That’s Asporé” Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp of salt (to taste)
- 2 tsp of garlic powder
- 2 tsp of onion powder
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- 1 tsp of red chili flakes (adjust according to your spice preference)
- 4 Tbsp of parsley
- 4 Tbsp of sugar (adjust according to your taste preference)
- Optional - ½ lb Mushroom Street Farms King Blue Oyster mushrooms, diced
In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat some olive oil over medium heat. Add the ground beef and cook until browned, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon.
Add the chopped onion and minced garlic to the pot. Sauté until the onion becomes translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
Add the grated carrot and continue to cook for a few minutes until it softens slightly. Add optional mushrooms and sauté until tender.
Pour in the canned tomato sauce and stir well to combine with the meat and vegetables.
Add the oregano, basil, Italian seasoning, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, red chili flakes, and parsley. Stir everything together until well combined.
Bring the sauce to a simmer over low heat. Cover the pot and let it simmer for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together. If you have more time, you can let it simmer for up to 1-2 hours for even richer flavors.
After the sauce has simmered, taste and adjust the seasoning according to your preference. If you prefer a sweeter sauce, you can add more sugar at this point.
Serve the spaghetti sauce over cooked spaghetti or your preferred pasta. You can also add cooked meatballs or sautéed vegetables to the sauce if desired.
Per Serving - Approximately 1/2 cup
- Calories: 120-150
- Total Fat: 6-8 grams
- Saturated Fat: 2-3 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Cholesterol: 20-30 milligrams
- Sodium: 800-1000 milligrams
- Total Carbohydrates: 8-10 grams
- Fiber: 2-3 grams
- Sugars: 5-6 grams
- Protein: 10-12 grams