For the filling
- 1 lb King Blue Oyster mushrooms (rinsed, tough stems removed, sliced into 1/4 inch thick strips)
- 1 small yellow onion (peel off outer layer, halve the onion and slice thinly)
- 1 red or green bell pepper (rinse pepper under water and dry, remove stem and seeds/membrane, slice pepper lengthwise into 1/4 inch strips)
- 2 cloves garlic (peel off paper outer layer, use a knife to mince garlic finely)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- (6) 10-inch whole wheat tortillas
- (1) 15 oz can black beans
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup guacamole
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (optional)
Prepare mushrooms, onion, bell pepper and garlic as indicated above.
In a large 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat, add 2 tbsp olive oil. Once oil is shimmering, add sliced mushrooms in an even layer. Cook for 2-3 minutes without stirring. Then stir and cook another 2-3 minutes until mushrooms are browned.
Push mushrooms to one side of skillet. On empty side, add onions and bell pepper. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add garlic and stir everything together. Cook for another 3-5 minutes until vegetables are tender but still crisp.
Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir to coat vegetables evenly with spices. Cook for 1-2 minutes more.
Remove skillet from heat.
Warm tortillas in microwave for 15-20 seconds each.
Assembly each fajita by placing a portion of mushroom mixture, beans, rice, salsa, guacamole and cheese (if using) into center of tortilla.
Fold bottom of tortilla over filling, then fold in sides and continue rolling tightly.
Per single serving
- Calories: 380
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 480mg
- Carbohydrates: 57g
- Fiber: 10g
- Sugars: 5g
- Protein: 12g